TFC challenges students to solve a real-world problem in their community using biology and technology for a chance to win prizes!
Registration for the 2024 cycle is now open!
What is Tech Futures Challenge?
We are living in a world that needs innovative, creative, and viable solutions to the real world issues surrounding us, now more than ever. We believe that we all, and especially youth, can make a difference. Together, we can create impactful solutions for real-world issues now and for our future.
This challenge is offered through the MindFuel Collaboration Platform and is designed to encourage and support youth’s diverse and creative perspectives as they participate in self-driven STEM project-based learning experiences.
First, teams will select a real-world problem and develop a project pitch video. Teams will need to address their chosen problem space using biotech; and if they chose, an additional tech of their choice.
Then, youth will design, prototype & present a tangible solution using STEM tools like bioengineering, synthetic biology and more at the Prototype Showcase, May 18-19 2024.
Click here to go to our TFC Youth Innovation Showcase for Team Projects from the past 10 years!
With the Tech Futures Challenge, you will:
- Develop skills in the exciting world of bio-technologies like synthetic biology, bioengineering, genetic engineering and more
- Work directly with experienced mentors and STEM industry experts to bring your project idea to life
- Learn more about possible career opportunities in STEM industries
- Nurture your entrepreneurial mindset – your ideas could be the start for a new business!
We are here to support you each step of the way by:
- Connecting your team to STEM mentors & subject matter experts (SMEs)
- Providing collaborative space for teams, mentors and SMEs to connect and work on our MindFuel’s Collaboration Platform
- Organizing and facilitating skills building sessions and prototyping touchpoints & workshops – either online or in-person (we hope) that are tailored to meet your project needs
- Sharing project and STEM resources developed by SMEs & MindFuel education specialists
- Offering and facilitating access to project materials & work space
- Hosting a final competition & showcase with opportunities to gain SME feedback and win awards & prizes
Join the Tech Futures Challenge!
Form or join a team and work collaboratively on a sustainability problem affecting your local or broader community!
Diverse & creative perspectives are encouraged, and team participation is open to all – there is no entrance or project fee.
- Teams from grades 7-12 or post-secondary from AB, BC or the YT including an adult team contact/advisor.
- Prepare a project pitch video addressing one of the UN’s sustainability goals with biotech.
- Submit your pitch video & receive feedback from a panel of mentors and judges, as well as seed-funding. Chat with them in-person at our Skills Building Workshop in early March.
- Awards include: Best pitch prizes, Runner-up prizes and possibly more. Exact prizes and amounts coming soon!
- Take your project idea to the next step!
- Participate in STEM skills building workshops and mentorship opportunities
- Present your project prototype and receive feedback from a panel of mentors at the May Project Showcase.
- Awards include: Best prototype prizes, Runner-up prizes and possibly more. Exact prizes and amounts coming soon!