Solve a real-world sustainability issue using science & technology
What is Tech Futures Challenge?
The Tech Futures Challenge engages and inspires youth to work collaboratively with friends or classmates on a sustainability challenge in their local or broader community. Using science, technology, design thinking and mentorship support, teams will build tangible solutions to the problems identified, and showcase their projects for awards & prizes.
We are living in a world that needs innovative, creative, and viable solutions to the real world issues surrounding us, now more than ever. We believe that we all, and especially youth, can make a difference. Together, we can create impactful solutions for real-world issues now and for our future.
This two-part challenge is offered through the MindFuel Collaboration Platform and is designed to encourage and support youth’s diverse and creative perspectives as they participate in self-driven STEM project-based learning experiences.
First, teams will select a real-world problem and develop a project pitch in Part 1: Project Idea Pitch beginning January 31st.
Then if they choose to move forward with their idea, youth will design & prototype a tangible solution using STEM tools like coding, automation, robotics, bioengineering and synthetic biology in Part 2: Project Prototype from March 6th – May 13th, 2023.
Click here to go to our TFC Youth Innovation Showcase for Team Projects from the past 10 years!
With the Tech Futures Challenge, you will:
- Develop skills in the exciting world of STEM technologies like robotics, coding, automation, bioengineering & synthetic biology
- Work directly with experienced mentors and STEM industry experts to bring your project idea to life
- Learn more about possible career opportunities in STEM industries
- Nurture your entrepreneurial mindset – your ideas could be the start for a new business!
We are here to support you each step of the way by:
- Connecting your team to STEM mentors & subject matter experts (SMEs)
- Providing collaborative space for teams, mentors and SMEs to connect and work on our MindFuel’s Collaboration Platform
- Organizing and facilitating skills building sessions and prototyping touchpoints & workshops – either online or in-person (we hope) that are tailored to meet your project needs
- Sharing project and STEM resources developed by SMEs & MindFuel education specialists
- Offering and facilitating access to project materials & work space
- Hosting a final competition & showcase with opportunities to gain SME feedback and win awards & prizes
Join the Tech Futures Challenge!
Are you an educator, a student in grade 7-12 or post secondary, a parent or other community member? Do you want to make the world a more sustainable place as part of a team effort and with the help of science, technology and mentors?
Form or join a team and work collaboratively on a sustainability problem affecting your local or broader community!
Diverse & creative perspectives are encouraged, and team participation is open to all – there is no entrance or project fee.
MindFuel’s Tech Future Challenge 2023
Prototype Registration opens:
February 20th, 2023
Part 1: Project Idea Pitch - Jan 31- Feb 25, 2023
- Teams from grades 7-12 or post-secondary from AB, BC or the YT including an adult team contact/advisor
- Prepare a STEM project pitch related to sustainability challenge
- Present your pitch & receive feedback from a panel of mentors at the February 11th Project Pitch Event
- Awards include: Best pitch prizes (Beginner & Advanced): $2,000/team and Runner-up prizes (Beginner & Advanced): $1,500/team.
Part 2: Project Prototype - March 6 - May 13, 2023
- Take your project idea to the next step!
- Access seed funding (up to $2,500 per team) & project resources
- Participate in STEM skills building workshops and mentorship opportunities
- Present your project prototype and receive feedback from a panel of mentors at the May 28th Project Showcase.
- Awards include: Top Project Prizes (Beginner & Advanced): $2,000/team and Special prizes at $1,500/team.
#1 Work as a team to identify a real-world challenge
#2 Use science and tech to create a viable solution
#3 Design & prototype with mentor support
#4 Share your project with the community
What our participants say:
“The Challenge has given these kids the opportunity to explore STEM topics far beyond the scope of classroom learning and apply them to the real-world problems they are most passionate about.”
“I would recommend this challenge to anyone interested in STEM field.”
“The Tech Futures Challenge approach really helped us to better understand the problem we are trying to solve and build solutions that are better suited to our end-users and their needs.”