Science happens here. Science is happening all over the world! See how we are making a difference in real-time.
Wint-O-Green-flavored Lifesavers or two sugar cubes
- Find a dark room with a mirror.
- Put the Lifesavers in your mouth, chew them up and watch closely as you chew.
- If you don’t have Lifesavers, rub two sugar cubes together...and watch closely.
how it works
Triboluminescence is light produced from friction. When you chew the lifesavers, or rub sugar cubes together, you are stressing the sugar crystals and creating electric potential. Electrons move across fractures in the crystal and excite the nitrogen molecules of the sugar. This gives off energy in the form of visible light!
try this experiment
- Fill one glass about three quarters full of very cold water.
- Fill the other glass three quarters full of hot water.
- Let the glasses sit for 20 seconds to make sure the water is no longer moving.
- Drop several drops of food colouring into each glass.
- Watch how the food colouring spreads.
The colour spreads a lot faster in the hot water because its molecules have more energy and are moving around faster. As a result, they spread the colour around at a much faster rate!
Fueling a passion for science.
MindFuel is a non-profit organization dedicated to igniting a passion for science in young minds through unique educational programs in the classroom and beyond. To us, science is much more than just textbooks and equations. To us, science is creative, entertaining and transformative, so we create educational programs that embody those values.
From hands-on experiments to interactive online games and videos, we bring science to life in ways that are relevant and fun to fuel a lifelong interest in the world of science!