Scholarships for young innovators
Scholarships have long been an important and exciting initiative at MindFuel and our partners. Scholarships are an investment in the future of Alberta and Canada. They are meant to address challenges facing our country: shortage of knowledge workers focused on science, technology, engineering and math (STEM), and the ongoing need to build a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship.
Please scroll below to see details about a new bursary program for tech developer training.
MEET OUR 2023 SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENTS.
OUR 2023 CALL FOR SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS AND AWARDS ARE NOW COMPLETED. PLEASE VISIT US IN THE SPRING OF 2024 FOR INFORMATION ABOUT NEW SCHOLARSHIPS.
Would you like to donate to a MindFuel scholarship?
This year CDL-Rockies and MindFuel will be awarding 2 scholarships for $2,500 each. Click on the ‘Eligibility’ box for details and follow the ‘Submission Instructions’ on how to apply.
Creative Destruction Lab - Rockies (CDL-Rockies) Opportunities Scholarship
Annual scholarship of up to $2,500, two awards
ELIGIBILITY: Grade 12 students graduating from an Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba high school, who identify as either: women or two-spirit, transgender or non-binary. Click for more…
The purpose of the CDL-Rockies Opportunities Scholarship is to make a positive contribution toward ending the gender gap in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM), while encouraging our best and brightest to explore opportunities that exist within the prairies. Women represent 51% of the population yet continue to be underrepresented in technical studies, careers and women-led startups. Only 3% of all venture capital is deployed to women. (Source: PitchBook: The US VC Female Founders Dashboard) Our aspiration is that through increased access to STEM education for innovative women-identified individuals within the Prairies, we will increase the likelihood of those individuals continuing in STEM-related careers within those communities.
- Eligibility: Grade 12 students graduating from an Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba high school, who identify themselves as either: women or two-spirit, transgender or non-binary.
- Students must be entering their first year in an undergraduate STEM-related program at an accredited post-secondary institution located in Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba.
- Annual scholarship of up to $2,500 each, awarded to two recipients as follows: $1,000 awarded for first-year post-secondary education; $1,500 for second-year, provided the recipients have maintained an 80% grade average throughout their first year.
- Deadline: midnight on July 31, 2023
CDL-Rockies accelerates the commercialization of tech startups representing the companies of tomorrow. Since 2017, our alumni companies have generated +$3 billion in equity value. Housed at the Haskayne School of Business at UCalgary, we deliver a mentorship-first program supported through a not-for-profit funding model. We connect ventures to a curated selection of subject matter experts in three areas – energy, agriculture and prime, playing a leading role in Calgary’s innovation ecosystem and beyond. Visit our website to learn more.
2023 Key Dates
- Applications for these scholarships are now open
- Applications close July 31st, 2023 at midnight
- The chosen applicant will be notified by email if they were selected
- Applications to be submitted by email to: email@example.com
- Use subject line: 2023 Scholarship application by FirstName LastName
- Please copy / paste this table into the body of your email submission and provide the required info.
Copy this line to the end of the table and paste it into your email:
|Applicant’s First & Last Name|
|Applicant’s cell phone #|
|Applicant’s email address|
|Secondary Contact Name (parent/sibling/guardian)|
|Secondary Contact cell phone #|
Each application must include the following attachments with these file name conventions:
- a unique essay of 500 – 750 words describing your vision for the future and how you’ll use STEM to bring positive change. Please include your name up on top. (Must name the file as follows: ApplicantFirstName_ApplicantLastName – Essay. Sample: Jane_Doe – Essay)
- up to 3 letters of recommendation (Must re-name the files as follows: Sample: Jane_Doe – Letter of Recommendation 1, Jane_Doe – Letter of Recommendation 2, etc.)
- official high school transcript. (Must re-name the file as follows: Sample: Jane_Doe – Transcript)
- a letter or notification from a post-secondary institution where you have been accepted to a STEM-based program. (Must re-name the file as follows: Sample: Jane_Doe – Letter of Acceptance)
Only the documents listed above will be presented to the Awards Committee. Any additional material will be discarded.
The InceptionU Bursary program, in partnership with MindFuel, is designed to help self-funded applicants access the InceptionU Full Stack Developer program. Learners can receive up to $2,500 towards their program fees.
In order to apply for a bursary, learners must:
- Submit an online application form to the Full Stack Developer program.
- Complete the extensive and thorough program intake interviews.
- Be accepted and offered a seat in the Full Stack Developer program.
- Learners will then be directed to the bursary application page (password protected).
- InceptionU and MindFuel determine bursary recipients.