CareersReady for a career in STEM education?
It takes amazing people to do amazing things, so we are always looking for curious and imaginative people who share our passion for science and, most importantly, our passion for sharing it. At MindFuel, we enjoy a vibrant culture that thrives on collaboration and our commitment to creating world-class programs that inspire, entertain and educate.
If you have a passion for STEM education, innovation, and creating world-changing learning experiences for students, then MindFuel could be your exact fit.
JOB DESCRIPTION: FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION ASSISTANT
(TEMPORARY 7 MONTH CONTRACT – PART TIME 15 TO 22.5 HOURS PER WEEK)
Are you looking to provide effective support to a finance and administrative function in a small, dynamic Not-for-profit? If you have the appropriate qualifications/experience in bookkeeping, HR and general office support, this may be the role for you! MindFuel is an education technology leader that brings STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) to life, both inside and outside the K-12 classroom. Our blended learning products which are both hands-on and digital, have reached over 147,000,000 students and teachers across Canada, the United States, and around the world since our inception in 1990. We are now looking for an effective accountant and administrator to join our small finance team to support the organization.
The Finance and Administration Assistant reports to the Director, Finance and Administration. This part-time role will support the Director, Finance and Administration in operating the Finance function of the organization by ensuring proper financial records are kept. In addition, this role will coordinate the Human Resource function and provide administrative support as needed.
This role requires a confident individual with plenty of experience in bookkeeping, HR and general office procedures. We are flexible around how the part-time week could be structured. The role would suit a delivery-focused self-starter, who is comfortable taking ownership over processes.
- Maintain accurate and timely accounting records including accounts payable, accounts receivable, purchase orders, monthly bank and visa reconciliations, journal entries and reconciliation of balance sheet accounts
- Assist with month end, year end and annual audit procedures
- Process semi-monthly payroll and monthly RRSP submissions
- Manage changes and updates to Payroll
- Provide support during the recruitment, onboarding and termination of staff
- Provide ad hoc administrative support as needed, including procurement of office equipment and supplies, liaising with IT Support, changing back-up tapes etc.
- Organize staff events (training, anniversary celebrations, Christmas party)
- Provide support to other areas/departments in the organization from time to time
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or similar field
- 5+ Years Experience in bookkeeping, payroll and office management
- In depth understanding of accounting principles and standards
- Human resource and payroll experience
- Intermediate to high proficiency in accounting and payroll software. Experience with Sage300 ERP and Payworks would be considered an asset
- Highest level of personal and professional integrity and ethics
- Excellent critical thinking, logical analysis and problem-solving skills
- Able to successfully function within tight deadlines
- Strong organizational skills and high level of attention to detail
- Comfortable working collaboratively
- Comfortable using own initiative and taking ownership of processes
- Able to handle confidential information
- Comfortable using MS Office Suite products
- Required to pass a pre-employment background check in accordance with applicable laws
- Compensation is commensurate with experience
- Expected start date March 11, 2021 or earlier
- How to apply – Please send your resume to careers@MindFuel.ca. We will consider applicants on a rolling basis with the final deadline for applications on February 25, 2021. Early submission is strongly encouraged. Please note that we will only be contacting shortlisted candidates.